Brother MFC 8440 won't scan as PDF on Windows 8 (32 bit). These are loose instructions as I can't provide step by step.
- download the Vista 32 full drivers (32 bit) here:
- run it.
- restart computer.
- run c:\program files\brother\cntrcnt.exe
- open preferences.
- checkmark: "Start ControlCenter when computer starts."
- start your scan from the Brother ControlCenter (scan to email, scan to file).
- if needed, change the preference to PDF.
You'll have to start the scans from the computer. The scan buttons on the Brother MFC won't work. But at least you can scan to PDF.
Another option, if you really want PaperPort then:
- get PaperPort V11se (I can't provide it online).
- install it.
- download the ConnectionTool here: http://nuance-community.custhelp.com/files/0f94173b99/ScannerConnectTool.zip
- unzip it.
- run it.
You'll have to start the scans from the PaperPort in this instance. But at least you can use PaperPort and you can scan to PDF. The ConnectionTool also works if the SCAN button in greyed out in PaperPort for Windows 8.
All of this is provided that the twain driver is installed. The WIA driver won't work. If the twain driver needs installed:
- right-click MY COMPUTER.
- click MANAGE.
- click DEVICE MANAGER.
- find IMAGING DEVICES in the tree.
- right click BROTHER MFC 8440.
- click UPDATE DRIVERS.
- click I HAVE THE DRIVERS.
- browse to the driver folder and inf file.
- click OK.
This will install the twain driver.